Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Bohemian Traits

I grew up in an environment as un-bohemian as you can possibly imagine, so it’s rather amazing I write a blog entitled “Bit of Bohemian.” My family was white, middle-class, conservative Protestant Christian, and definitely Republican. I even went to a conservative Christian university, but it was actually during my time there that I began to change and re-evaluate everything I had previously believed. After graduation, caught in the monotony of a soul-crushing nine-to-five cubicle job, I decided to explore my bohemian tendencies.

Personally, I’m still grappling with some of the type-A habits I formed during childhood and adolescence. The worst one is that I love to make lists: to-do lists, grocery lists, books to read lists, movies to watch lists, things I need to do today lists, and so on. It’s one of my only non-bohemian traits and it’s terribly difficult for me to stop doing it. I like typing and I love feeling like I’m getting things done, so I’ve turned to blogging instead. My bohemian blog. No more listing!

I am bohemian, but I am also growing into and discovering my own bohemian-ness.

So, what traits exemplify a bohemian?

  1. Read “The Bohemian Manifesto” by Laren Stover. It’s one of my favourite books and explains quite well what a bohemian is and what kind you may be.
  2. Express yourself through dress, style, and accessories. Don’t be afraid to try new things.
  3. Believe in your own ideals (and why you believe in them). Also, don’t ever be afraid to challenge these ideals.
  4. Always attempt to find a creative means of employment. Never settle for a job with which you’re unhappy.
  5. Express yourself creatively … painting, drawing, music, writing, or photography. The list is endless.
  6. Eat the most healthful diet you can afford, whether it be organic, vegetarian, vegan, Mediterranean, or something else entirely. Know where your food comes from and how it impacts the earth and your body.
  7. Peace. Love. Believe in it. Spread it.
  8. Surround yourself with like-minded bohemian souls.
  9. Small friends (pets): have as many as you can love.
  10. Your body is an artist’s palette. If you want piercings or tattoos, get them. But only when adequately sober.
  11. Experience the art of the bohemian spirit: music, books, poetry, movies, etc.
  12. Don’t confine your mind. Learn about other religions, philosophies, political affiliations, cultures, and such. Always have an open mind and an open heart.
  13. Do what you want and break the rules. (Obviously, within reason.)
  14. Always question authority.
  15. Travel. Far and wide. As much as possible.
  16. Live in the moment.

“Well, isn’t Bohemia a place where everyone is as good as everyone else – and must not a waiter be a little less than a waiter to be a good Bohemian?” ~ Djuna Barnes

No comments:

Post a Comment